June 13, 2016 by pecanbutter
1. I shall treat each person as an individual with his or her own needs, desires and autonomy. We are all different, we are all with my strengths and weaknesses.
2. I shall take time to process and reflect and know that there is no need to respond right away. My mind is a vast space. My emotions are bigger. Letting my emotions get the better of me will cause me to say things in the heat of the moment, things I may later regret.
3.I shall edit my words and communicate in a way to help others better understand my perspective. Everyone of us understand things differently too, the different perspectives.
4. I shall speak only for myself and don’t claim that my views are universal. Take what I say with a pinch of salt but don’t dismiss me completely. You are entitled to your thoughts but hear me out first.
5. I shall draw upon resources that most people would agree are credible when making factual claims, to build trust.
6. I shall be more open minded and be willing to listen and try to understand.
7. I shall use conversations as an opportunity to find shared values and interests that will open lines of communication.
8. I shall stop, breathe and find peace in myself before I I respond to anything. No emotions.
9. I shall show respect and avoid sarcasm and condescension.
10. I shall learn to listen to the other person and ask genuine questions with the goal of understanding them better.
Source: Vegnews magazine, June 2016.