Coffee, cabbies and teh tarik in KL

Leave a comment

March 7, 2016 by Soo Ee

I learnt that small as it is, Singapore is convenient and safe, something I take for granted.

When I landed in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday morning, the first thing I wanted to do was to hop into cafes that were around the KL Sentral area.

That was how I unintentionally ended up at two very different cafes, Dr Inc and Pulp.

A test of mind over matter

Dr inc. Speciality of the cafe was a drink called the Presso bomb: 1 shot of expresso + 1 tall glass of ice cream soda. I was not a huge fan of sweet canned drinks so I did not get that. The other drink I did not get was the Milo dino bomb, which was one part milo +1 shot of expresso.

According to the lady proprietor, the cafe’s water supply was not working that morning, that was why my drink came in a paper cup. The cafe’s Wifi was unfortunately down too. The long black I ordered seemed to be watered down. Drink was 8 myr (2 sgd). There’s like a little yard out front where there were two sitting areas – a bench with chairs and a little table with beach chairs.

Pulp. Shophouse in an industrial area. It was located nearby so I walked. This place gave me the ‘Wheeler’s Yard feel.’ The cafe has this corner where the sugar and stirrers were at for coffee tasting.

The menu looked good and the price, I like.

I ordered the trio of rye bread with avo +egg mayonaise. I accidentally spilled my trio while I was trying to capture it on my iphone. The service staff generously replaced my brunch free-of-charge!

The machiatto was not overpoweringly acidic and aromatic and really nice.

The crowd was healthy for a Saturday.

Big contrast between the two cafes.

The mayo egg and avocado on rye bread trio



Two cafes and too much caffeine later, I went back to the Sentral to get tickets to Shah Alam (Batu Tiga) I should have bought the tickets before leaving to explore the cafes. There was a long q at the ticket counter because it was noon time but thankfully, the q was quick. Direction given by the helpful counter- take a train to Batu Tiga and then cab to hotel.  Train ride was about 40-45 minutes.


Batu Tiga Train station

I must look like a big radish head. The taxi station guy wanted to charge me 50myr to drive me to my hotel. I told him that was expensive because I checked Google and it wasn’t that far away. He then told me there was no one out there to ferry back and hence the charge. I was tired and just wanted to get to the hotel soon so I said okay.


The taxi place where my radish head was chopped


Nexus Business Suite did not allow me to check in at 1400. I left to get the race pack after depositing my luggage in a store room that had no security lock. There was only a porter outside the room. At this point in time, I was too tired to think anything. I just wanted to collect the pack and rest.

The cabbie and I got stopped halfway by a police checkpoint, which was in the middle of nowhere. They asked me where I was going. The driver told me to reply. I was taken aback. My melayu was limited but replying was better than keeping my mouth shut so I replied and whispered a silent prayer after that. They took a look at me and waved us off. Phew. The cab ride was 38myr ~ 12 sgd.


The driver who kept checking his handphone throughout the cab ride and also, left me to answer the police

The event area was small. A few sponsors were promoting their ware and they gave out free food samples and products. After I collected the goodie bag, race tee and bib, I had a problem – it was a ghost town in the vicnity.

I saw food trucks at the event venue. Crazy Monkey (sold coffee) and Bubu (all kinds of chicken) No more coffee though I was tempted to try. The brain needed a break from the previous two doses. To Bubu I went. I was disappointed. Chicken tortilla was sold out. Should I go back hungry or eat at the hotel, paying a possible exorbitant amount for crappy food?

“No mashed potato please,” I said when I ordered whatever the food truck had left.


Event tents


Guest speakers


Coffee food truck , Laughing monkey


Bubu, the food truck which sold very good tasting chicken. Too bad I didn’t get to try the tortillas.

Room is huge.

Race morning.


I ran my best and ‘earned’ back my race entry and got to bring home a nifty little trophy. It was already 10 am when I reached my hotel. I asked if I could bring the breakfast food upstairs to my room because I really wanted to shower before eating. I was told that if I did so it would be charged as room service.

It was a good thing they gave us the finisher ‘head band’ in a bag big enough to hold steady two small bowls of food.

Back in Kuala Lumpur, I decide to forgo my initial plan to roam and explore the city a little before I headed to the airport. Teh Tarik (just at the shopping mall opposite KL Sentral) has fab food! I must entice people to come run races with me in Malaysia so that we can share the calories! The teh c kosong and murtabak were nice. Nasi lemak looked good too but there was only so much space after two teh c and one more egg tosai.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: